Recently, I wrote about the sleazy sales techniques employed by the sales team at our timeshare resort. My husband is in sales and marketing and is always watching and critiquing other strategies and styles to see if there are things that he can use to improve his job performance.
There are seven sales tips that he took from these interactions and they are as follows:
(1) Be genuine – The designer suit, huge Rolex watch, and aroma of cologne that can be sensed from the other side of town are renowned traits of sleazy salesmen.
(2) Be respectful of other’s time -The time available for you to get your message across to your prospects is limited and this is even tighter if you are working with a family who have young children. This was the case with our family at our recent timeshare presentation. There were clear signs that the salesman had to get a move on including a screaming baby, a 2 year old who couldn’t sit still any longer and my husband who repeatedly said “you will need to get a move on please as the boys can’t last much longer”. All of these signs were ignored and the only person the salesman was interested in was himself.
(3) Be in a business that you are passionate about – The two people that we spoke to were clearly working from a script and there was no originality to the content of their presentations. There was no passion for the position and you could tell that this was purely a job for both men. Their scripted style did not allow for interruptions by children, or changes based on their clients’ personalities. A passion for your work allows for more off the cuff conversation and makes room for personalized techniques.
(4) Provide value to your potential customers – We spent approximately 75 minutes in the sales office and at the end of things we hadn’t learned anything new. The topic that we were told the talk was going to be about hadn’t even been discussed with our sales representative. An event that we thought would be very helpful and allow us to make more of our investment in the timeshare, ended up costing us 75 minutes of our vacation. However, it did provide us with some great material for these blogs!
(5) Be honest – Over-promising and under-delivering is a frequent event in the sales world. The salesman will do whatever he can to get the customer in the door, and then the poor operations team are left to pick up the pieces. Let your prospective customer know what you can and can’t do, but be sure to help them find the solutions that they are searching for. Lies and deceit can only get you so far before things start collapsing on you, and at this point it is very difficult to recover.
(6) Don’t over do it – Just because someone doesn’t buy your product or services, doesn’t mean that they won’t recommend you to their friends and family. It might just be the wrong time for them right now, but this won’t stop them from telling people about you if they see value. If we had been treated correctly at our sales presentation, I would have been more than happy to make referrals. However, due to the miserable experience that we suffered, the only thing that we will be doing is telling people NOT to look into this company.
(7) Relax – Make it a two way conversation, not just you feeding information to your customers. You might have the best product in town, but if it doesn’t mean anything to the consumer, you are just wasting your breath and everyone’s time. Your family passes to the local amusement park might be the best for value in town, but if the person sat opposite you doesn’t have children, the chances of success are fairly slim. Find out more about the person you are conversing with and see if your product can help solve a problem that they are currently experiencing. My advice here is to act in a similar manner to my 2 year old son. Ask question after question until you get the information that you need to present your business.
Sales is a very difficult position to succeed in, especially if you are on 100% commission and under extreme pressure from your superiors. When possible, follow the 7 steps above and you will hopefully experience more success and enjoyment.