This list was compiled by looking at data from across a variety of aspects including health and fitness businesses and amenities, healthy eating establishments, and activities around town that promote healthy living. The article also included reviews of these places and their popularity among residents. Overland Park was recognized namely because of their expansive arboretum and botanical gardens, availability of fresh produce at the farmer’s market, as well as the outdoor walking and educational activities available at Deanna Rose Children’s Farmstead.
Even if your city wasn’t recognized on this list, there are so many ways you can ensure a “wellthy” lifestyle on your own. Here are a few ideas to get you started!
(1) Walk daily: walking trails are everywhere. Even if there isn’t one connected to your neighborhood, it’s nice to drive to new places and explore the area. This is especially true if you live near a busy road, as most trails are a safe place to take your kids and let them run!
(2) Visit your local farmer’s market: you wouldn’t believe the great deals you can get on produce at a farmer’s market vs. a grocery store. Not to mention the other fun things they have, like honey and jam and beautiful flower bouquets!
(3) Participate in physical activities: going for a run or to the gym may not be your cup of tea, but maybe you love to play basketball when you get the chance. This is a great way to get exercise and have fun at the same time, so find a league and join up!
(4) Work-life balance: it’s important to take a break every now and again to clear your mind and enjoy time with family. Be sure you have a healthy balance between work and home life so you can get the most out of every day!
(5) Annual medical check ups: this is a great way to make sure your health is on track. Don’t forget about the dentist, dermatologist and optometrist when you are making your appointments!
(6) Stay hydrated: when I notice my energy levels are low, I can usually pinpoint the cause as dehydration. If constantly drinking water feels like a chore to you, try adding some flavor or even eating watermelon! This is a great way to stay hydrated and get some vitamins as well.
(7) Sun screen: don’t leave home without it. We all know the risks associated with sun exposure, but many of us will only apply if we are spending the day at the pool or beach. Even if you are just out running errands, it’s a good idea to lather up before you go as you will be in the sun more than you think!
(8) Get a good nights sleep – this means a good night’s sleep, not lying in bed for several hours looking at your phone. The light on your phone can cause insomnia, so turn the blue light filter on if you do have a habit of playing games or browsing Facebook before you sleep.
(9) Sign up for an event so that you have something to work towards – signing up for a 5k or Tough Mudder “forces” you to create a fitness regime so that the day of the event isn’t a complete disaster!
(10) Family time – spend time with friends and loved ones. Workout together when possible so that everyone is involved and something that typically isn’t enjoyable becomes something that the whole family looks forward to!