This time of year, giving back is on the forefront of our minds. As we look around at our own situations, we often feel blessed for all of the good in our lives. This feeling is sometimes followed by guilt, remembering that not everyone has so much to be thankful for. Consequently, we begin to wonder: what can I do to give back? In case you have asked that question lately, here is a list of ideas to get you started!
- Local church – whether you belong to a church or not, they are always looks for volunteers to help with various things, as well as donations of clothing or food.
- Participate in a charity fundraiser – find an organization that is close to your heart and run in the 5K, or volunteer at one of their fundraising events.
- Volunteer as a coach in the local parks and recreation sports program – this is a great way to get involved in the community, as well as give a child a role model that they may be needing in their life! In Johnson County, KS you can simply lg on to the parks and rec website for opportunities.
- Salvation Army bell ringer at Christmas
- Lead a charity event at your place of work – This is great for team building. Check out Royal’s website to learn about the different community outreach programs in which they have become involved, it’s a great place to get ideas!
- Clean up – Volunteer your time in helping to clean up the local school playground in preparation for the start of the school year. Collect litter from the highway or help clean the local stream in your neighborhood.
- Make a financial donation – if you feel you are too swamped to attend an event, financial donations are always appreciated. Just make sure you know where your money is going to be used!
- Volunteer at a local soup kitchen – soup kitchens are full of volunteers around the holidays, so try volunteering at another time of year when they truly need the extra help.
- Get involved with an inmate program designed to help people prepare for life after jail.
- Create an event yourself to support a charity – if you can’t find something you are passionate about, make up your own event!
- Find someone in need and personally help them – make a grocery run for your elderly neighbor, or buy a few toys for the kids down the street whose dad just lost his job.
- Carry a survival pack in your car that includes socks, gloves, toothpaste, a toothbrush, some snacks etc. that you can give to homeless people when you see them.
These are just a few ideas, and most of them are things you can do all year long! Do you have any other things you like to do to give back? Leave your ideas in the comments below!